Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sickie Day #2

Didn't take Daughter into school today, having established there is a rather vague 24-48 hour exclusion for vomiting, provided it wasn't demonstrably caused by too much birthday cake. She is fine now, although the fact that she had the worst tantrum of her entire life at her friend's house this morning leads me to think she is not quite right yet.

I escaped the bedtime routine last night to go to the new parents' meeting at the school. There was wine! I approve.

There were various bits about school routines which I've taken on board and filed away somewhere, but not too much of great significance.

My only notes concern:
- having been told not to bother with plimsolls until the spring term, as they don't go outside for PE before then, we've not been told they ARE needed, for going on the new climbing equipment, so I now need to source size 10 plimsolls in late September, which may be reasonably challenging
- we've been advised that if our children are going to have school dinners at all, it's a good idea to make sure they have them early on, as they will get a lot of help and supervision at lunchtime (hot or packed) when they first start staying, so it's a good opportunity for them to learn how school dinners work

I asked the mum we saw this morning about this, and her daughter is going to have school dinners on a Friday (chip day) and maybe one other day. Daughter is quite keen on this little girl at the moment (only one in her half of the class from nursery) so it'd be nice if they went to lunch together, and they'll only do this if their lunches 'match' (ie packed or hot). So I think we will at least do the Friday thing. Head is rather dismissive of the healthiness of packed lunches, but I don't see what's so intrinsically healthy about a school menu which potentially allows a child to have something-with-custard for pudding four days a week.

Also on the subject, it's a bit strange catering companies inventing things to put on their menus - bit trick to help your child choose what they're going to eat if you haven't a clue what the dishes are! For instance, if you Google 'larkhay biscuits' (one of the puddings) you get five hits, all of which are school menus by the same catering company. Mysterious biscuits!

Other than that, I have food for thought on whether it is appropriate to let a child play around a war memorial, and had a chat to Daughter's class teacher and both teaching assistants, who all asked after her. Apparently all the children were concerned about her too, as she's the first child to be taken out of the class poorly. They were very kind and said it was quite understandable that I'd made a wrong call (both TAs are parents too, but not the class teacher), which made me feel better. Insistence on mentioning that her lips had gone blue - not so much.

Back in tomorrow - Daughter was disappointed not to go in this afternoon, which I am actually really pleased about.

Unrelated to last night - I need to think about whether to put Daughter's name down for the work playscheme. I don't intend to use it this Christmas or Easter, or probably even next summer, but if I want the option I may need to do something about it soon-ish. Although I'm not contracted to work the long holidays, it might suit to have her go and do something for the day during the holidays anyway, to give us a little break from each other, and give her something to do. I suspect not for the foreseeable future though, as she's not really the kind of child who can just drop into a situation, make friends and have fun, she needs quite a lot of settling in. But it's worth considering and finding out more for the future.

No comments: