Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And the biographical note

Brief biography, biographical note, statement - I've sealed the envelope and I can't remember what it says? I've interpreted it to be a personal statement, it's not exactly a manifesto, but a little more than a biography - wasn't too sure that much of my 'biography' would be relevant.

Anyway, here it is:

"I am new to the school, with my daughter [name] having just started in Reception, and am keen to get involved in the life of the school. I am an internal auditor at [employer], where I have worked for twelve years. In this role I have gained knowledge of governance and financial management, along with skills in time management and communicating with a wide range of people. I work part-time, which gives me time to dedicate to helping the school continue to improve, and means I will be visible to other parents at school pick-up time."

I raided the annals of Mumsnet for some tips. I feel a little funny about the last bit, but I thought it was worth making it clear that I'm part-time and will do pick-up, so I'll be around to talk to people, plus I'm not some high-powered long-hours person who will have nothing to do with the school apart from parachuting in for evening meetings! I suppose the fact that Daughter has just started is biographical detail - plus I figured that if I weren't standing and was faced with a load of candidates I knew nothing about, I'd be pretty inclined to vote for a fellow Reception parent, all other things being eequal.

So tomorrow I shall drop it into the office. I also need to ask about a term timetable (still working off default LEA one, but have just seen my friend's daughter's timetable, at a different school, and it's different to the LEA one!), whether Daughter has made it on the milk list, and when the new parents' meeting is.

Today I've also tidied the conservatory and done my evening's volunteer work, so I feel quite virtuous. Daughter has been to see her nursery best friend, a 'playdate' (yuck) which started with tears and ended with tears, but went unusually well in the middle. Oh, and the world failed to end. Good day all round.

No comments: