Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Malingering (not)

Daughter is off school sick. I suspected her of malingering (if that thought doesn't cross your mind when faced with a small child who doesn't really want to do something, and is claiming a tummy ache, you are a better/more trusting/more gullible person than I am) and eventually got her to school. I was very understanding, I swear, and made it clear to her that not going to lunch with her grandparents, and not seeing her friend this afternoon were simply consequences of being ill, not punishment. She managed to get up eventually, got into her uniform, arrived at school at 9.20, came home, phoned Husband to tell him all about it ... as soon as I put the phone down, it rang again, with Daughter's class teacher saying she was as white as a sheet and shivering under a blanket in the book corner.

Oops.

So I have learned:
- Daughter is maybe not quite as good an actress as I was thinking
- super-late arrival of Reception children is not a hanging offence
- wobbly Reception children get to sit on teacher's knee when they arrive
- there is a lovely clean, snuggly blanket for shivery children

Which is all good. On the minus side, I have been able to get into school twice without any sort of challenge other than buzzing in - both times I was buzzed in, there was no one paying much attention in the office so I just walked straight through and down the Reception classrooms.

Daughter is now asleep on the sofa while I'm starting to go through the National Training Programme for New Governors workbook - swot. I've not been given this to do, I just figured I might as well be well informed before I go to my first meeting.

No comments: