Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Basics

Us:
Daughter - 4 years old at the time of writing, hence off to school in September. Born pretty much half-way through the school year, so she'll be neither the youngest nor the oldest. Education to date - been at nursery since she was six months old.
Me - 30-*mumble* years old at the time of writing, and not getting any younger. Sigh. I work in the public sector, currently three days a week. Education to date: first year to do GCSEs (that dates me), four A-levels (took three years to achieve), one 2.1 degree from a redbrick university, professional qualifications.
Husband - 30-*mumble* PLUS ONE MONTH ha ha. Same public sector employer as me. Does stuff with computers. Education to date: ditto on the GCSEs, A-levels of some description, first-class degree in hard subject from slightly comic university.

The school:
Location: approximately two minutes' walk away. Yay! Urban/suburban location on the edge of a major town; fairly affluent middle-class catchment (not that it actually has a catchment area of course).
Status: voluntary controlled (this is the slightly less alarming incarnation of the faith school, where the LEA is responsible for admissions criteria and funding, and employs the staff); it's a CofE school with no religious entry criteria.
Ofsted think: it's outstanding.

The plan:
I'm switching my contract to term-time only at the start of September, i.e. I will only be paid for 42.2 weeks out of the 52.2 in the year, but the pay will be spread evenly over the year. I'll be 'unpaid' for the long school holidays, and take half-terms as annual leave.
I will work approximately 08.30 to 14.30, with Husband taking Daughter to school and me collecting her.

The back-up plan:
The doting grandparents (my parents) twenty minutes up the road.

The philosophy:
I wanted minimal dependencies when Daughter starts school - no reciprocal arrangements with friends, no breakfast club, no after-school club, no relying on the grandparents, etc. Just Husband (school drop-off), and my (our) remarkably accommodating employer (term-time contract). That way it can only get better as Daughter acquires friends, and is a more appropriate age for before/after school activities - can't it?

No comments: